RE: Neil's tow hooks

From: raymond.irons@gm.com
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 06:04:50 EDT

Neil wrote: <snip> 1. the stretchy strap business is bogus . . or, the one
I have is
defective. It does not stretch, even a little.

Just as a suggestion, a long time ago in a far away land (Welcome to Grand
Forks, North Dakota, please set your watch back 20 years), when i was still
under the influence of the evil blue oval boys, I had the chance to bury a
full sized Bronco to the frame. I was sitting about 30 feet off from and
parallel to a old dirt road. I had a good set of frame mounted tow hooks
and a decent tow chain. After all what 4x4 owner in North Dakota doesn't? I
got some buddies of mine together to try to pull me out. We started by
hooking 1 tow chain to my first friend (Chuck) truck, a 3/4 ton Cheyenne
hitch and the front of my room mates (Mark) F150 front push bumper. We then
got 2 tow chains hooked together from Marks and 2 more from the front of
my truck. But wait, we added a little "insurance" to the package. In the
middle of the 4 tow chains from my truck to Marks, we slipped in an old
tire to provide "elasticity". Now we coordinated our effort via CB radios.
We left a good amount of slack in the chains from my truck to Marks, and I
told Chuck to start pulling and Mark to stand on his brakes for a second.
Once we had good tension between the two truck on the road (Chuck was
actually spinning his tires) I yelled for both of them to floor it. They
took off and I watched the chains from the front of my truck go tight and
then that old tire s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d way out of round. For about 2 seconds
nothing happened, all of a sudden I felt the front of my truck pick, what
felt to me, like straight up and shift about 45 degrees to the left. About
30 seconds later I was back on the road and we started checking out our
trucks. No damage to any of the trucks. From that point on, we always had
someone with an old tire in the bed.

Ray Irons
Dover, DE