Re: Neil's tow hooks

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 14:52:44 EDT

raymond.irons@gm.com wrote:

> Neil wrote: <snip> 1. the stretchy strap business is bogus . . or, the one
> I have is
> defective. It does not stretch, even a little.
>
> Just as a suggestion, a long time ago in a far away land (Welcome to Grand
> Forks, North Dakota, please set your watch back 20 years), when i was still
> under the influence of the evil blue oval boys, I had the chance to bury a
> full sized Bronco to the frame. I was sitting about 30 feet off from and
> parallel to a old dirt road. I had a good set of frame mounted tow hooks
> and a decent tow chain. After all what 4x4 owner in North Dakota doesn't? I
> got some buddies of mine together to try to pull me out. We started by
> hooking 1 tow chain to my first friend (Chuck) truck, a 3/4 ton Cheyenne
> hitch and the front of my room mates (Mark) F150 front push bumper. We then
> got 2 tow chains hooked together from Marks and 2 more from the front of
> my truck. But wait, we added a little "insurance" to the package. In the
> middle of the 4 tow chains from my truck to Marks, we slipped in an old
> tire to provide "elasticity". Now we coordinated our effort via CB radios.
> We left a good amount of slack in the chains from my truck to Marks, and I
> told Chuck to start pulling and Mark to stand on his brakes for a second.
> Once we had good tension between the two truck on the road (Chuck was
> actually spinning his tires) I yelled for both of them to floor it. They
> took off and I watched the chains from the front of my truck go tight and
> then that old tire s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d way out of round. For about 2 seconds
> nothing happened, all of a sudden I felt the front of my truck pick, what
> felt to me, like straight up and shift about 45 degrees to the left. About
> 30 seconds later I was back on the road and we started checking out our
> trucks. No damage to any of the trucks. From that point on, we always had
> someone with an old tire in the bed.
>

> Ray Irons
> Dover, DE

Very unusual method of truck recovery - - and while it seemd to have
worked - I hate to think what might have happend had the tire snapped
with the chains under all that tension

"Take me to the river, drop me in the water..." - Talking Heads

'89 Silver Dakota RC, V6, 4x2 -- '89 Silver Dakota RC, V6, 4x4 '01 Graphite Ram Offroad Sport, RC, 360 V8, Auto, Short Box! 4x4

http://home.earthlink.net/~silvereightynine/ http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/