3.9 smoke on hard accel

From: Mike Meyerhoff (mike@mypants.org)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 23:23:50 EDT

My 3.9 will get a bit of smoke on sudden accel. If I slowly gain RPM past
4K it is ok, but If I floor it and it downshifts it will get some smoke.
Its hard to tell the color because there is very little smoke. I can see it
best at night when there are headlights behind me. It has been doing this
for a while, but I think its getting worse. Truck runs good otherwise, gets
20+mpg crusing.

It doesn't sound like its pinging when it does it. My 92 has a mopar PCM,
and does ping on 91 octane under load. But it doesnt feel or sound like
pinging.

My motor is pretty high milage and I'm wondering if it could weak valve
springs. Or possibly a sensor? Anybody have any thoughts on this?

mm