Re: 3.9 smoke on hard accel

From: Gary Hedlin (ghedlin@theramp.net)
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 04:58:00 EDT

Most likely you're looking at a bad piston ring....only real explanation for
the smoke (burning oil).

Go to sears or somewhere and get an engine compression test kit. Disconnect
your PCM and ignition coil, and cylinder by cylinder remove the spark plug,
screw in your compression gauge and turn the engine over bout 7 times.

If your reading anything under 100psi, you've found the problem. :)

--
Gary Hedlin
President

Gary's Wisdom- #216

-Don't Blame Me....I Voted for Nader!!! ""Mike Meyerhoff"" <mike@mypants.org> wrote in message news:002901c3895d$c40399c0$ca00a8c0@mypants.org... > > My 3.9 will get a bit of smoke on sudden accel. If I slowly gain RPM past > 4K it is ok, but If I floor it and it downshifts it will get some smoke. > Its hard to tell the color because there is very little smoke. I can see it > best at night when there are headlights behind me. It has been doing this > for a while, but I think its getting worse. Truck runs good otherwise, gets > 20+mpg crusing. > > It doesn't sound like its pinging when it does it. My 92 has a mopar PCM, > and does ping on 91 octane under load. But it doesnt feel or sound like > pinging. > > My motor is pretty high milage and I'm wondering if it could weak valve > springs. Or possibly a sensor? Anybody have any thoughts on this? > > mm > > >