Re: Re: RE: K&N -- good people, good product.

From: Tubamirbls@aol.com
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 11:18:36 EDT

Any dealer can refuse to acknowledge warranty coverage on any part of the
vehicle for whatever excuse he wishes to make. That's why Chrysler has an
appeals procedure in place for the customer to seek redress.
In the case of the K&N cold air intake/filter modifications if a dealer was
to take a no engine warranry coverage stance because your truck had one he
would put himself in a most stupid and awkward position since the K&N product with
almost no change has been sold thru MoPart parts for a number of Chrysler
vehicles including some Dakota models for several years. Obviously you could
take the MoPar logo and substitute it for the K&N and few would see any
difference. (Item is pictured in the 2002 MoPar Performance parts catalog). MoPar
similarly has offered replacement filters for these which clearly share both K&
N and MoPar logos.

I was at my dealer last week to buy a MoPar cold air intake for a 2000
Dakota. The parts computer said the part number was no longer good and no new
number is given. We checked all the Dakota engines for which MoPar/K&N cold air
intakes has been offered and all of them are no longer available from MoPar. If
you want/need one you might be able to find a dealer who has your model in
stock or in a regional MoPart supply depot but otherwise that product is no
longer available for any engine it previously was in Dakota or Ram.

Paul Sahlin