Re: RE: RE: K&N -- good people, good product.

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 18:47:46 EDT

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 18:30:43 -0400, 03dakotacc4.7_4x4@comcast.net
(droo) wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 05:06:54 -0400, RayB <bpracing@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>

>> Well Ted, if you're going to condemn a product with statements like
>> "letting
>> 10X as much dirt through", it would be helpful if you identified your
>> source. I use a K&N FIPK on my daily driver Grand Cherokee and asked
>> Blackstone Labs what they thought about K&N filters. Their response
>> was..
>> "We have seen no problems with using K&N air and oil filters". My
>> analysis
>> results were excellent.
>
>I think K&N Advertises that it blocks 97% of dirt the size of 1 micron vs.
>the paper filters which block 98%. Not sure if I recalled the numbers
>correctly. But for this to mean anything you really need to ask, "What size
>is most of the dirt I don't want in my engine?". One micron is pretty damn
>small.

Yeah. I am skeptical that K&N air filters are really as evil as some
people crack them up to be. If you drive in really dusty conditions,
I'm sure it'd be a lot worse.

I also don't think that their drop-in replacement air filters do much
of anything. I ran mine in my truck for a while and just didn't
really notice any difference. Maybe it gave me a couple of extra HP,
but that really isn't noticable until you start stacking several mods
like that together. No difference in mileage, either. I think this
is mainly because the stock airbox is what's restrictive and not
necessarily the filter media.

So, until I'm ready to swap out the entire air intake, I'm just going
to stick with the Wix and/or NAPA filters that I can get for cheap.

-Bill