RE: The WRONG way to test for transmission troubles

From: John (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 18:58:06 EDT

Gary,
My Dak is doing what appears to be the same thing as yours. The RPM's
fluctuate about 100 while it's in cruise and I'm driving through slightly
rolling country side. With cruise control on, this is pretty easy to
duplicate. It seems to happen most when I crest a hill. With cruise control
off, the truck runs normally. I'm guessing the computer is unlocking the
torque converter for a second or two, then re-engaging it. It may do this
2-3 times in the course of 3-4 seconds.

Anyone have any ideas? BTW, fluid level is good, it's fresh and the problem
happened before and after I replaced the pressure regulator and solenoid.

John
http://jndneff.home.texas.net/dakota/dakota.html

<snip>
The first 100 miles were
pretty scarry, got the same symptoms as before (fluxuating RPM's while on
cruise).... but then I decided to turn the cruise off and hold the gas at
1/2 throttle. Guess what! Nothing!! No fluxuation in RPM's, no funny
noises, nothing! The truck ran great the rest of the way there, and the
way back...getting about 18mpg's on average for the trip.
<unsnip>