rough idle question

From: victor.williams@byers.com
Date: Mon Oct 20 2003 - 18:39:04 EDT

I've been trying to get my 360 to idle better with no luck.

Checked wires,cap,plugs,got injectors cleaned, new air filter,cleaned PVC
valve,cleaned IAC which is only 3-4 months old, replaced TPS, checked
compression - 165 on 7 cyl and 155 on cyl 7. Nothing has helped yet.
No error codes. When I hook up a scanner the timing in the total advance
seems to jump from 11 to 20 and is consistantly changing. Is that good ?
The dash tachometer shows it's idling 2-400 rpm but scanner shows 574 rpms.
Runs fine off idle. Would a bad timing chain cause this ?

What controls timing at idle and what else can I look for ?

Don't really know how many miles are on the 360, I got it used 20k miles
ago.

Victor Williams
Marietta Ga
1995 CC Sport 2wd,5.9l,5sp,3.55LSD,MP sp intake,Flowkooler,K&N
dropin,Jardine catback,Flowmaster 70,CarSound Cat,Jacobs ign,MSD 8mm
wires,Tow pkg,207rwhp,285rwtq