Re: Tonneau Cover info and a ?

From: Jeff Durling (jdurling@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 13:45:46 EDT

On Wednesday, October 22, 2003, at 09:33 AM, james.zito@ps.ge.com
wrote:

> Jeff and rest of list,
>
> I just put a Sport Master's by Tonneau Masters on my 03 Dak QC. It is
> nice piece, similar to the Access one that was described earlier. The
> big
> difference between those 2 units was price and the fact that the
> Access has
> an all metal rear latch bar. Mine was about $300 the Access was
> either $700
> at one store or almost 500 at the other store. Before I got mine I
> did some
> research on the suckers. There are several brands out there that make
> the
> soft covers, and the come in a bunch of varieties.
>
> There are basically 3 classes of soft covers, lift up( like the hard
> fibreglass units vinyl over a frame with lift cylinders or springs),
> roll-up
> with velcro, and roll up with snaps. These can also be divided into
> over
> the rail and inside the rail, as well as those that need drilling.
>
> I think either Access or the Sport Masters or may even the X-Tang don't
> recall the model from them would suit your needs. Note the order
> listed is
> that of price and quality..... top to bottom. The all use clamp on
> side
> rails that bolt to a front rail and are held tight to the sides with
> velcro.
> It took me about 15 minutes to install mine. The entire top of my bed
> rail
> is exposed but the fabric also provides a little overhang to help
> ensure
> that the bed stays bone dry.
>
> The other 2 great things about the cover is I am getting an extra MPG
> on
> average and stuff that is in the bed is out of sight.
>
> Next big question is does Dodge make a locking tailgate handle so the
> stuff
> can be both out of sight and secure?
>

> Jim
> '03 QC Dak 4x2

Jim, Thanks for the info. I have looked a Sport Master before and
didn't know they made a cover that sits inside of the bedrails instead
of on top. I'll check into that. If the Access cover is as much as you
say then no way. It may be good but I don't want to spend that much. If
that's the case i'll buy another Roll-N-Lock and and go with that. That
was the best cover I have ever owned.

I posted about the tailgate lock but haven't seen it come up so i'll
rehash what I said in it. I don't think Dodge makes a lock but
Pop-N-Lock (could also be Bully) makes one that replaces the existing
handle with one that has a key lock in it. Looks completely OEM with
the addition on the key lock below the handle.

Here is a link form JC Whitney but the one I saw looks better.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet
ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10101&langId=-
1&productId=221843&mediaCode=ZX&appId=432705

I believe it is the some one but OEM looking.

Jeff Durling