RE: Tonneau Cover info and a ?

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 14:05:03 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net]On Behalf Of Jeff Durling
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 11:42 AM
To: dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net
Subject: Re: DML: Tonneau Cover info and a ?

<Not that Dodge makes one but I have seen one by Pop-in-Lock (I think,
maybe Bull) that looks exactly like a Gen III handle with a key lock
incorporated into it. I think JC Whitney used to carry them.>

I picked up one at Peep Boys a few months ago. The installation was
relatively easy and the fit was good.
I have a couple misgivings.
In the past, the tailgate has occasionally been hard to latch, it takes
multiple slams. The place to lubricate is behind the handle, not at the
latches on the tailgate sides. This is easy to do with the original bezel,
just slip in a trim tool and pop the plastic piece out.
The locking latch incorporates a well fitting plastic trim piece with
anti-tamper clips. According to the instructions, once it's on, it can't be
removed without damaging it. The intent is to prevent removing the trim to
get to the installation screws.

Second; when the handle is locked it's still possible to open it if you do
it right. The left side of the handle is securely restrained from pulling
up. The right side can be lifted enough to unlatch the gate even when
locked.