weird idle while cold

From: Ethan Schwartz (ethan@ethanschwartz.com)
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 16:39:56 EDT

Hi All,

I just bought a 97 Dakota 4x4 SLT w/ 318 (Reg. Cab) this week (~90k miles)
and I like it so far...

Kinda wishing I bought it the week before, maybe I could have taken the
trip up to the Daktoberfest this weekend... have fun!

My problem/question is: When the truck is cold it has a very funky idle,
it will jump around, all over the place really: 600rpm, 2000, 1200, 1600,
etc... It's most noticable in park, but it does still jump in Drive, and
being able to hit 25mph without touching the gas isn't really a good thing
:) The jumps are quick, almost seems intentional, which is why I'm
suspecting a sticking IAC.

Further on the stucking IAC is seems that after the truck has warmed up a
bit (30-90 seconds) it mostly goes away, and after a 5-10+ min drive it's
gone, shift into Park after a drive and it seems to stay at a normal idle
quite nicely.

I don't have much time this weekend, so I can't do a full tune up, but I'm
headed down to Autozone and thought I'd pick up a new IAC, air filter and
PVC valve... while I'm in there I'll check for vaccum vs. pressure on the
PVC opening (check for the leaky plenum I think the FAQ said?)

Anything else you can think of (besides actually cleaning the TB) that I
might look into while I'm trying to squash this? I figure the 'ol R&R
(remove and replace) will work just fine if I throw enough parts at it!

One last thing... I've also noticed that my oil pressure seems low... when
hot it's just below/at 40psi when driving (1500+ rpm) and it's bearly at
the bottom of normal oil pressure range when at hot idle. When the truck
is cold it sits at 40psi @ idle and up near 3/4 when @ 1500rpm.

Here's a pic of the gauge while hot @ idle:
a new window</a>

Since they're in stock, and some people have had luck with this, I'm going
to pick up a new oil press. sensor... is this located on the back of the
intake like the RAMs or elsewhere on our Dakotas?

I'm also wondering what's involved w/ dropping the oil pan to check/clean
the oil pump screen (or possibly replace the pump)... is that something I
can do on a saturday afternoon in my driveway w/ a pair of jack stands, or
is it more involved w/ transfer cases, etc, etc...

My FSM is on order from techauthority :)

Looking forward to many happy threads here... the site is great! It's got
tons of detail!

-Ethan