Re: level sticks in 4-LO

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 00:00:18 EST

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:35:15 -0500, andy-dml@levyclan.us (andy levy)
wrote:

>BARRY OLIVER wrote:
>
>> Uh, on my visor it says (no kidding) than I should be moving (in
>> neutral) at 5-10 mph in order to shift into 4-lo...
>
>My '99 said something like "no faster than 3 MPH, and put the tranny in
>Neutral." Can't speak for anyone else but if I'm on anything but a
>downhill paved surface I come to a stop from 3 MPH real fast with the
>tranny in N.

Ok, so I checked out my visor and the owners manual. On my 2000
(NV231), the visor doesn't say anything about how to shift (just that
you should consult the owners manual). So I did.

What they describe sounds extremely retarded to me...

--snip--
Shifting Procedure - NV 231

4HI LOCK to 4LO LOCK or 4LO LOCK to 4HI LOCK.

With the vehicle rolling at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h), shift an
automatic transmission to N (Neutral) or depress the clutch on a
manual transmission. While the vehicle is coasting at 2 to 3 mph (3
to 5 km/h), shift the transfer case lever firmly to the desired
position. Do not pause in transfer case N (Neutral).

NOTE: Pausing in transfer case N (Neutral) in vehicles equipped with
an automatic transmission may require shutting the engine OFF to avoid
gear clash while completing the shift. If difficulty occures, shift
transmission to N (Neutral), hold foot on brake, and turn engine OFF.
Make shift to desired mode.
--snip--

I don't see how you can possibly keep your vehicle rolling at 2 to 3
mph and do all of those things before your vehicle comes to a stop (or
is going way faster if you're going down a hill). Not to mention that
you'd really need 4-LO in a situation where you're stuck or in thick
mud or something else that's going to slow you down a lot quicker than
a nice paved road. My book also says that you can use 4LO at up to
25mph.

Oh well... my way (stop, foot on brake, tranny in neutral, shift 2wd
-> N [pause 1-2 seconds] -> 4-LO , tranny in gear, go) works fine for
me.

-Bill