Re: Follow-up to: Vibration in Chassis

From: Michael Maskalans (mike-lists@tepidcola.com)
Date: Thu Oct 30 2003 - 19:28:02 EST

On Thursday, October 30, 2003, at 08:54 AM, Neil W. Bellenger wrote:

> If you have up-down and
> in-out movement on the pinion, the ring teeth and pinion teeth need a
> careful inspection for wear AND the bearings need replacement. In
> addition
> to a visual inspection on the gears, run your finger over the gear
> mating
> surfaces on each tooth. You can sometimes feel a slight scallop in the
> surface that might not be obvious depending on how well the gears are
> illuminated.

so just how bad is gear wear? I don't know about the pinion, but I
know my rear ring is in less than perfect shape (the front looks unused
- heh). I just figured it was "normal wear" and didn't think much of
it....

--
Michael Maskalans                '98 Dakota SLT CC 4x4 318
details here:             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dak/>