RE: RE: Follow-up to: Vibration in Chassis

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Thu Oct 30 2003 - 08:54:26 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net]On Behalf Of Dale Schultz
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 8:57 PM
To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net
Subject: Re: DML: RE: Follow-up to: Vibration in Chassis

<I'm pretty sure I have worn pinion bearings. I put a dial gauge on the
pinion yoke and pushed the shaft up and down and measured 10 thou of
movement. I can also "see" movement when I push/pull the pinion yoke in
and out of the diff housing. Considering the shaft is carried by taper
bearings and there is a pre-load on them, I expect NO movement at all.

I'm taking the drive shaft in to have the balance checked, then I'll
pull the diff cover off and look to see if there's any metal bits in it.

If it looks clean I'll just replace all the bearings and re-shim it myself.>

The bearings are definitely shot. You're correct that there should no
movement other than rotational on the pinion shaft. If you have up-down and
in-out movement on the pinion, the ring teeth and pinion teeth need a
careful inspection for wear AND the bearings need replacement. In addition
to a visual inspection on the gears, run your finger over the gear mating
surfaces on each tooth. You can sometimes feel a slight scallop in the
surface that might not be obvious depending on how well the gears are
illuminated.
Definitely have the drive shaft rebalanced, or, if the shop recommends,
replace it. THEN replace the bearings in the diff.