Re: Re: Hit 170,000 Miles Today, Dead Tomorrow??

From: Ethan Schwartz (ethan@ethanschwartz.com)
Date: Thu Oct 30 2003 - 22:55:00 EST

I converted my old Cadillac over to use relays for the headlights... it
was pretty simple, I used a 30A relay for each beam (big overkill) for a
total of 4 relays off a 10G wire from the battery... the relays were
turned on (obviously) by the existing wiring to the lights. I had no
existing temp. problems at the switch, but the voltage was ~11V at the
lights w/ the engine running. After putting the relays in it was up to
13.5V and the lights were noticably brighter (the main reason for doing
this). I had a 50A fuse (from an old stereo amp) in-line on the 10G
wire at the battery.

Cost was pretty low (4 relays, some wire, solder and heat shrink) and it
only took about 60 mins to complete and that was w/ my anal soldering
and wire routing.

I didn't bother switching over the parking lights, since they are fairly
low power (I didn't know how the turn signals would react)... Doing this
should eliminate at least 10-20A of power going thru the switch...

-Ethan