Re: Center caps on Gen III 15x8 wheels

From: mike-lists@tepidcola.com
Date: Tue Nov 04 2003 - 21:48:44 EST

In article <bo9hcn$p87$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, david.clement@verizon.net
writes:

> In article <vsagqvg9n4qie3de8vaharm8uqho2v6065@4ax.com>, dakota@billpitz.com
> (Bill Pitz) writes:
> >

> > Ok, I can't take it anymore.
> >
> > I've now lost my third center cap (after just replacing the second one
> > last week). Anyone have any ideas about what to use to keep these
> > suckers where they belong?
> >
> > At $20 a pop, I can't really afford to keep losing them. Hell, at
> > this rate a nice new set of rims would pay for themselves in no time
> > :-)

> Use a little clear silicone adhesive applied from the back side. I lost
several
> of the black plastic caps on my 89 Dakota and didn't lose any after using the
> silicone.

the same thing worked wonders for the center caps on our converson van's rims.
before they were redesigned, and without the silicone, we'd loose one overy
other month. very rarely lost one once we started putting some silicone on the
keeper clips to keep them kept =)

eventually all the ones with the plastic keepers were lost, though, and the
ones with spring steel pushing on hinged steel keepers never fell off. of
course these were like 6" caps, so there was plenty of room to get fancy in the
retaining system. not so on the 2.5" to play with on those rims.

--
Mike Maskalans
mmmm siglesslicious!