Re: Re: Re: keyless / remote start

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 12:14:25 EST

"Josh Battles" <jbattles@bankfinancial.com> wrote:

: Well, since we're already talking about alarms/keyless entry/etc... I
: figured I'd chime in and pose a question.

: I've been thinking of putting an alarm on my truck (because let's face it, a
: dak is a very desireable truck) but since I don't have power locks it's kind
: of a moot point unless i added them in. So.... I am thinking of adding in
: power locks so that they'd be actuated ONLY by the alarm. This way I
: wouldn't have any switches or anything inside the truck to operate them.
: I'm really not too keen on cutting into my doorpanels, and besides it's only
: 2 doors to lock so I don't really see a need for the switch anyway.

: Can anyone recommend a good power lock kit to accomplish this goal? Has
: anyone else ever done this? Any ideas, experiences, or tips would be
: appreciated. Thanks guys!

   I'm not aware of any kits (doesn't mean there aren't any, I
just haven't been looking) :-) but if it were me I'd be tempted
to just build it myself. :-) You can pick up actuators for $5
(or less) a pop (I have several in the shop in fact for future
projects) :-) and they are very simple to use, apply 12v in one
direction to pop it one way, reverse the leads for the other
direction.

  Anyway, your door panel will come right off, then it should
be a simple matter to fabricate a bracket to mount in the door
which attaches to your lock mechanism. How the wiring works
depends on the particular alarm you use (as far as how it
expects to trigger the door locks, the ones I have used have
had one wire go hot for lock and a separate wire go hot for
unlock). So, a couple of actuators, some relays some wire
and a little metal for some brackets should have you in
business!

  Too bad you don't live closer, I'd be tempted to help you
with it, sounds like a fun project. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'