Re: Re: Re: keyless / remote start

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 12:35:22 EST

<jon@dakota-truck.net> wrote in message

> I'm not aware of any kits (doesn't mean there aren't any, I
> just haven't been looking) :-) but if it were me I'd be tempted
> to just build it myself. :-) You can pick up actuators for $5
> (or less) a pop (I have several in the shop in fact for future
> projects) :-) and they are very simple to use, apply 12v in one
> direction to pop it one way, reverse the leads for the other
> direction.

I guess I'll just have to pick an alarm and get the wiring schematic and how
it actuates the stock power locks...

> Anyway, your door panel will come right off, then it should
> be a simple matter to fabricate a bracket to mount in the door
> which attaches to your lock mechanism. How the wiring works
> depends on the particular alarm you use (as far as how it
> expects to trigger the door locks, the ones I have used have
> had one wire go hot for lock and a separate wire go hot for
> unlock). So, a couple of actuators, some relays some wire
> and a little metal for some brackets should have you in
> business!
>
> Too bad you don't live closer, I'd be tempted to help you
> with it, sounds like a fun project. :-)

If you wanted to do the research on what actuators and relays would be
required and point me in the right direction to obtain them I'd appreciate
that... I'd even be willing to put together a pictorial FAQ for the website
with part numbers and measurements and everything. I'm shooting to have
this completed by the summertime. That way I could be big pimpin with auto
start and keyless entry all summer long. :-)

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L