Re: Dakota Dually on Ebay

From: Aaron Wyse (awyse@sw.rr.com)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2003 - 19:38:29 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Josh Battles" <jbattles@bankfinancial.com>
To: <dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net>
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 9:30 AM
Subject: Re: DML: Dakota Dually on Ebay

> <jon@dakota-truck.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Now that would be sweet - finish that project off with the
> > Cummins 3.9L inline 4 or if you're really up for a challenge,
> > the 5.9. The latter would create some interesting packaging
> > difficulties though (it fills up the Ram's engine bay, let alone
> > a Dak!) The 3.9 could probably be hopped up to produce some
> > decent numbers, and to hear that diesel clatter and turbo whine
> > coming out of that Dak would be something special. :-)
> >

> > --
> > -Jon-
>
> Being as Banks Performance put a Cummins 5.9L diesel into a dak, I'm sure
> that it'd be possible. Heck, Banks might even be able to make you the
motor
> mounts as well as some of the other assorted hardware pieces needed.
Plus,
> they're definately the people to talk to about diesel performance. Now it
> seems it's more of a question of how many dollars you'd be willing to let
go
> to accomplish this task...
>
> --
> - Josh
> Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L
> www.geocities.com/lenny187/dakota.html

The 3.9L Cummins has decent numbers stock.. and I'm sure with mild mods
could be brought up over 200HP & 500Ft Lb.. It is available with a
bellhousing pattern for the 727/518; and weighs 550#(similar to a V8). I've
found several rebuilt 3.9L's that are usually starting around 4 grand..
Seems the motor itself would be the biggest expense. Supposed to be a
popular engine for many step van styled delivery vans as well, and I found
one in the 4WD forklift on the construction site lately. Just need to start
keeping an eye out for them; If we could start rounding them up at a
reasonable cost; We could start converting the 2.2& 2.5L Daks over to
Cummins power, Do enough and maybe DC will get the hint.
Aaron Wyse
1994 RC WS 2.5L 5spd