Re: new toy

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 02:04:50 EST

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 00:32:48 -0500, mike-lists@tepidcola.com (Michael
Maskalans) wrote:
>for the price Keith is getting me on this truck, I don't care what
>shape it's in =)

How much, if you don't mind my asking?

>however, I know it's in decent shape - though it's got a bit of a rust
>problem.
>it was having trouble idling this summer, but a cap, rotor, wires,
>plugs and an air filter cleared that up. it shifted well and drove
>fine. I know it needs rubber but that's easily taken care of -
>especially if it has 15" rims (don't remember, but I ought to be able
>to get some if they aren't, and then I'd only need 1 tire for quite
>decent rubber).

If it's still got the stock rims, they should be 15" ... All of the
prospectors I've looked at came with 31x10.5x15s. Lift kits can be
had very reasonably, too, because of those solid axles. *drool*

>I can deal with anything else that breaks, since it needs upgrades to
>become the offroad monster that is it's destiny, anyway <g>

For some reason you always cause me to start thinking about expensive
projects. My credit card company thanks you :-)

By the way, in terms of towing, you ought to be fine. I routinely tow
in the neighborhood of 4500 lbs. (give or take a couple hundred pounds
for 40 gallons of gas, gear, etc.) when I'm pulling my boat. The lake
we like to go to requires traveling a pretty nasty mountain road, but
the Dak handles it just fine. If you're doing mostly interstate
driving to get the Ramcharger back to your place, you'll definitely be
in fine shape as long as it's less than ~5000 lbs.

I assume you're running 3.55s now, so I'm not positive what your exact
tow rating is. I have 3.92s ('00 4x4 CC 4.7L) and my max tow rating
is right around 6200 lbs. So, following the 90% rule, that puts it at
right around 5600 lbs. If you build that monster up to anywhere near
that, it should be capable of towing a couple of your Daks behind it.
:-)

-Bill