Re: new toy

From: Michael Maskalans (mike-lists@tepidcola.com)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 15:51:54 EST

On Wednesday, November 12, 2003, at 02:04 AM, Bill Pitz wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 00:32:48 -0500 (Michael Maskalans) wrote:

>> for the price [...] on this truck

> How much, if you don't mind my asking?

$500. definitely a "score," since it runs and drives safely as-is.

> If it's still got the stock rims, they should be 15" ... All of the
> prospectors I've looked at came with 31x10.5x15s.

cool. in that case, if the rubber sucks, it can get a bit of a
downgrade in size with a complete set of 30" Geolandars for $80. a
nice interim setup since no one else seems interested in buying the set
of three.

> Lift kits can be
> had very reasonably, too, because of those solid axles. *drool*

who says I'm keeping those axles? ha.

>> I can deal with anything else that breaks, since it needs upgrades to
>> become the offroad monster that is it's destiny, anyway <g>
>
> For some reason you always cause me to start thinking about expensive
> projects. My credit card company thanks you :-)

<g> you sure they take a break from thanking me for my own purchases to
thank me for yours?
I dream, you dream, we all dream the truck dream!

> By the way, in terms of towing, you ought to be fine.

only for now. two tons of axles don't shave weight. that project may
or may not happen, but that's all I'm saying in public ;-)

the rest is for those in the proposed pool to guess at. (not the pond,
barry! I don't need to think about flotation tires in a truer sense
than I already do!! <g>)

> I assume you're running 3.55s now, so I'm not positive what your exact
> tow rating is.

yeah. and for years I thought I had 3.92s. oh well. they're getting
replaced anyway (future project: I'm tired of stupid dodge ball joints).

> I have 3.92s ('00 4x4 CC 4.7L) and my max tow rating
> is right around 6200 lbs. So, following the 90% rule, that puts it at
> right around 5600 lbs. If you build that monster up to anywhere near
> that, it should be capable of towing a couple of your Daks behind it.

heh heh heh. how little you know ;-)

now where the hell is that phone call? the shop has 40 minutes to
finish up my baby.... I'm anxious, even though I did break a rule I
set for myself by spending more money on my front end. I don't think
she'll mind with the new skins and a fresh alignment and all.

--
Michael Maskalans                '98 Dakota SLT CC 4x4 318
details here:             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dak/>