RE: Header Gasket

From: Wisotzkey, Rich (Rich.Wisotzkey@gd-ns.com)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 15:40:49 EST

Ken,
I use the Mr. Gasket #5949, Ultra-seal premium exhaust gaskets. (This part
number is for the 318/5.2L magnum.) They are about 1/8" thick and seal
themselves once the engine heats up. They work great! You don't need to
use any sealant on these gaskets. If the header flange is machined true,
you really shouldn't need any sealant no matter who's gasket you use.

You shouldn't need to disconnect the y-pipe, but you will need to loosen the
bolts at the header flanges on both sides. The clearance on the flange
bolts isn't great. You can get special 12pt. header bolts to make the task
of torquing them easier. I used stainless steel bolts and just cut down a
combination wrench to clear the header tubes.

You can do it, it is just a little tedious in places. After you've done
them a half dozen times, they don't seem to bad. :'B Hope this helps.
Good luck,
Rich - Ashburn, VA