RE: Canadian Shipping? Was: meet videos

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Mon Nov 17 2003 - 18:24:55 EST

Jerod J. Husvar said:

> Hmm... I always use US Mail.

Be aware that there's no such thing as package insurance. Not that they
tell their customers this in advance, mind you. My mom shipped us some
stuff through USPS a few years ago. They were more than happy to take her
money for insurance, along with the triple-expensive shipping charges.
The contents were utterly destroyed by the time they reached us. The post
office's answer? "How do we know the damage wasn't caused by Canada Post?
 All we guarantee is that we'll get it to the border." Canada Post was
equally useless.

We've had too many things get lost or misdirected to really trust the
postal service. Canada Post unfortunately doesn't pay too much attention
to whether anything gets where it's going or not. Once the post office
heaves their bags of mail over the line in the dirt, all bets are off.

FedEx is the only reasonably-priced service I've found that doesn't suck.
By the time you pay for the customs broker fees from UPS, FedEx ground is
cheaper. Sometimes FedEx will send a bill for the taxes due at import,
but at least they don't hold your package hostage until you cough up the
cash, or charge ridiculous brokerage fees. UPS costs the receiver more
than the sender, and it's really expensive on both ends.

Still, with the inflated shipping costs, I've found that it's almost
cheaper to drive down to Steiger Acres and pick up packages in person.
Especially if we combine several packages in one trip.