Re: Re: RE: Re: Got my sandbags today

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 11:29:36 EST

"Josh Battles" <jbattles@bankfinancial.com> wrote:
[...]
: I've used them before Neil and I'm by no means downtalking their
: effectiveness, I'm just saying that I don't see a need for them if you
: compensate by adjusting your driving style for the snow. Everyone has
: mentioned axle deep snow a few times now, you guys in NY must get hammered
: pretty good to be worrying about that. We'll very rarely get over 5 - 6
: inches at a time here, and the plows are actually very good so we don't
: usually see more than a couple of inches at a time on the roads. Just the
: same, I carry a container or cat litter and road salt along with a shovel I
: bought at army surplus just in case.

   Yeah, we get that little joy known as "lake effect", where
cold air from Canada blows down across a warm lake (Erie or
Ontario), picks up moisture, converts it to snow and then DUMPS
1-3 FEET of the white stuff. :-P Its not uncommon to get a
couple of feet overnight when this happens.

  Plows are good once you actually get on the road, but first
you have to drive through the huge pile that the plow dumped
at the end of the driveway. :-) Plus, in my case, my driveways
all angle up to the road, so when I used to drive the Dak in the
winter, it was a challenge even getting out of the driveway, even
with a plowed driveway. I used to put 600lbs of tube sand in the
bed, which made the truck somewhat bearable during the winter.
Without it, the truck just had no chance. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'