Re: Re: RE: Re: Got my sandbags today

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 11:40:27 EST

<jon@dakota-truck.net> wrote in message

> Yeah, we get that little joy known as "lake effect", where
> cold air from Canada blows down across a warm lake (Erie or
> Ontario), picks up moisture, converts it to snow and then DUMPS
> 1-3 FEET of the white stuff. :-P Its not uncommon to get a
> couple of feet overnight when this happens.

I'm in Chicago, we get that "lake effect" snow as well. We'll get a decent
amount of it, but nothing like 1 - 3 feet. Plus, we're pretty close to the
city and my street is a school bus route so we're one of the first ones
plowed. :-)

I can imagine that it would take days for them to plow all the country roads
out by you Jon. If I lived out there I'd definately have a 4x4.

> Plows are good once you actually get on the road, but first
> you have to drive through the huge pile that the plow dumped
> at the end of the driveway. :-) Plus, in my case, my driveways
> all angle up to the road, so when I used to drive the Dak in the
> winter, it was a challenge even getting out of the driveway, even
> with a plowed driveway. I used to put 600lbs of tube sand in the
> bed, which made the truck somewhat bearable during the winter.
> Without it, the truck just had no chance. :-)

I have to unfortunately park in the street, so believe me i'm no stranger to
digging my vehicle out. I had forgotten about the fact that your drive
angles up to the street (quite severly actually), mine kinda angles down
into the street and we have a tiny curb so I don't even have to really worry
about that much.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L