Re: Roll out of new models from DC

From: Jeff Durling (jdurling@bellsouth.net)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 23:42:20 EST

On Nov 18, 2003, at 9:25 PM, Kyle Vanditmars wrote:

> Jeff Durling wrote:
>>>
>> I just saw the new Durango at the auto show here in Miami. All I can
>> say is it is not as near as good looking as the Gen III based
>> Durango. Actually, I found it quite ugly looking. The concept version
>> looked alot better than the final product.
>> Jeff Durling
>
> I'll chime in an agreeance with that. I personally think they goofed
> when they made the grille the hexagon-ish shape they settled on. If
> it looked more like the Ram grille, it would be much better, IMO.
> Also, the hood slopes down FAR too much, and the thing looks like a
> friggin' minivan or something, particularly head-on.

Exactly what I have been thinking. The front end just doesn't have the
muscular truck look to it at all anymore. The side kind of is ok until
the seem at the front fender. Goes downhill form there. For one thing
the grill is in odd proportion to the body, Too tall and flat with the
hexagon the Kyle mentioned. The headlights sweep way too far back into
the fender at the top. A little would have been ok but the way they did
it, again, looks out of proportion. I hope the update to the body in a
couple of years fixes it.

I don't know what would have been wrong with a slightly smaller ram
look. It would hhave looked like a dodge and looked good. Other than
the srt-8 the rest of the concepts I have seen lately haven't been
doing it for me form DC. The crossfire is cool but they goofed there by
making it a coupe instead of a convertible. I know that DC didn't wat
to hurt sales of the little Mercedes SLK roadster due to it being on
the same platform but the crossfire would have been the perfect car to
release as a convertible to compete against the Z4 and even the
Mercedes at a better price point.

Oh well, Daimler has taken some of the life out of chrysler.