Re: tight steering

From: Jeff Durling (jdurling@bellsouth.net)
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 20:11:22 EST

On Nov 20, 2003, at 6:24 PM, droo wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 23:29:42 -0500, Eric Giblock
> <egiblock@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>> when i drive others cars, and then drive my truck , the steering
>> seems real
>> tight. is this normal? i got 65,000 miles on the thing. should i
>> look
>> into changing the power steering fluid (if any).
>
> The steering the dakota is power assisted. The cars you are driving
> might be fully powered to the point where you can parrallel park using
> your finger to turn the wheel. Power assisted steering has a little
> more resistance than full auto and gives you more feedback from the
> road.

I think what you mean is the dakota has speed sensative steering. Any
steering that is assisted is power steering no matter what type it is.
It is commonly used to refer to any system that uses fluid in it's
system since a couple of vehicle are on the way with electric assisted
steering which don't cause drag on the engine from the engine like a
power steering pump does.

If I remember right the different power steering systems can be dialed
in through a range to give specific amount of feedback. The system
being easier to turn over ones that are more difficult are usually
determined by the engineers who designed the vehicle.

Also, as a side note, typically older cars had way easy to steer power
steering systems in them since the technology at the time was somewhat
new. Over the year it was determined that these types of systems were
not as safe since it was too easy at lower speeds to bump the car into
another lane. Pretty much now it is mostly left set easier in larger
luxury cars.

Also be aware that tire width can have an effect on how easy it is to
turn the wheel. smaller, skinnier tires make it easier while larger,
wider tires produce more feedback at lower speeds.

Jeff Durling