Re: Superchargers

From: KenCo (ken@kencofish.com)
Date: Mon Nov 24 2003 - 16:36:22 EST

Josh Battles wrote:

> "KenCo" <ken@kencofish.com> wrote in message
>
> > lots of them at a truck/equip. junkyard :)
> > 3 or 4 53/71 are used in tons of off road
> > equip. like pavers, rollers, generators etc.
>
> I hadn't really thought of that before, I'd never come across one in a
> boneyard.
>
> > the fab would be 3-5 hrs at best (for me anyway) and the
> > gaskets would be stock.
>
> I had that very thought after I clicked on send, you could use the stock
> gaskets on either side of the adapter plate. The hard part would be that
> since the 53/71 series of superchargers is built for V8's the major obsticle
> would be to reconfigure the outlet ports for the V6.

WRONG!! remember im an ex. heavy equip. mechanic/fabricator/designer, I
can
rebuild diesels/blowers in my sleep as long as you have a few extra sets
of
rotor seals as the damm things always break on install lol

inlines 3/4/6/8 cyl. have a flat base and look like a bell sitting on
the ground,
V series doesnt have the lip but have V type mounting from center of
case to
clear the heads. either will work and the V series may be better suited
to clear
the heads and lower the install but a little harder to mount as the
bolts go in
on a 45 deg. angle.

basicly like this, T= mounting bolts. if this ascii art works ;)

   Inline V series
  (______) _____
T_/ \_T vs T\(_____)/T

the actual outlet on either is on the bottom and is approx. the same
widht just
the lenght changes per #/cyls., about 3"x4" for ea set. 1, 2 or 3 sets.
think a reg. spaghetti box, that approx. the actual working width. and
lenght
of an 8 cyl.

I suppose you could
> take the intake plate off of the supercharger and fab one up all by yourself
> and take into account the different number of cylinders that way. That
> seems to me like it would be the easiest way, since the bottom of those
> superchargers is just a large rectangular opening. It would be a fairly odd
> looking/shaped piece of material though. That way you could still use the
> stock gasket on the bottom of the s/c and the stock intake gasket for on the
> heads.

the actual blower case is the mount, use the mounting gasket for the
template.
next is the oil supply but thats a pipe fitting on top and making a
return
line to drain back to pan OR just cap and 1/2 fill w/ dura lube.

> > nope, it would be the same as having the spacer plate.
>
> Agreed, since you'd be using both sets of stock gaskets on the base of the
> s/c and against the heads, it should be fine. I don't know what i was
> thinking before, i really hadn't thought it through too well.
>
> > I was talking pressure (turbo) vs. vacuum TB),
> > there usually made diff. for flow rating.
>
> Huh? I'm lost on this one. Or, were you talking about an intake manifold
> that would be better suited to a forced induction application?

the intakes would be diff., sorta looking like the old "ram" manifolds.
turbos would be designed for the air to be pushed if they designed it
right.

> I was actually thinking that for my senior project I'd try and design a V6
> intake manifold that would work well NA and under pressure and see if I
> could dyno prove some gains with it. It would be a good way for me to get a
> start in the direction that I'd like my career path to take.
>
> --
> - Josh
> Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L
> www.geocities.com/lenny187/dakota.html

actually take a band saw to a V6 Magnum engine intake and weld the
spacer plate on!
hmm, this is sounding like a nice concept......

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121 Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the sending of this contaminant free message We do concede that a signicant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced ;)