Re: Superchargers

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Mon Nov 24 2003 - 15:38:14 EST

"KenCo" <ken@kencofish.com> wrote in message

> lots of them at a truck/equip. junkyard :)
> 3 or 4 53/71 are used in tons of off road
> equip. like pavers, rollers, generators etc.

I hadn't really thought of that before, I'd never come across one in a
boneyard.

> the fab would be 3-5 hrs at best (for me anyway) and the
> gaskets would be stock.

I had that very thought after I clicked on send, you could use the stock
gaskets on either side of the adapter plate. The hard part would be that
since the 53/71 series of superchargers is built for V8's the major obsticle
would be to reconfigure the outlet ports for the V6. I suppose you could
take the intake plate off of the supercharger and fab one up all by yourself
and take into account the different number of cylinders that way. That
seems to me like it would be the easiest way, since the bottom of those
superchargers is just a large rectangular opening. It would be a fairly odd
looking/shaped piece of material though. That way you could still use the
stock gasket on the bottom of the s/c and the stock intake gasket for on the
heads.

> LOL, a rework on the hood would be needed, hood scoop!!

Yeah, it kinda defeats the whole stealth look i'm going for though. If you
don't mind people seeing what you have under your hood then it'd be just
fine.

> nope, it would be the same as having the spacer plate.

Agreed, since you'd be using both sets of stock gaskets on the base of the
s/c and against the heads, it should be fine. I don't know what i was
thinking before, i really hadn't thought it through too well.

> I was talking pressure (turbo) vs. vacuum TB),
> there usually made diff. for flow rating.

Huh? I'm lost on this one. Or, were you talking about an intake manifold
that would be better suited to a forced induction application?

I was actually thinking that for my senior project I'd try and design a V6
intake manifold that would work well NA and under pressure and see if I
could dyno prove some gains with it. It would be a good way for me to get a
start in the direction that I'd like my career path to take.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L