Re: Air vent diverter

From: Tubamirbls@aol.com
Date: Tue Nov 25 2003 - 11:27:38 EST

Hi Phil
      The various baffles and diverters (Chrysler used to refer to them in
their shop manuals as "blend air doors") within your HVAC unit are opened and
closed by vacuum actuators. If you have a poor vacuum connection anywhere
within the HVAC unit or in the supply from the engine some or all of these
actuators will fail to respond correctly. Worst case scenario is when one or more of
these baffles won't respond at all or sticks somewhere between full open and
full closed.
     The reason why it responds even worse when you rev the engine, or if you
were driving when you are accelerating is that under those conditions the
engine produces the least amount of vacuum.
     Bottom line is that you either have a poor connection somewhere in the
various lines supplying the HVAC or one actuator is failing and is about to
quit altogether.
     I had a 94 Pontiac Grand Am which every time you went up a grade with
the A/C on the vacuum supply became so weak that the setting of the various
baffles to divert cold air started to change and my cold air became heater air.
That was GM engineering. There was nothing "wrong" with the system.

Paul Sahlin