Re: New to group, considering Dakota purchase, questions and observations

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Fri Nov 28 2003 - 20:40:57 EST

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 16:38:53 -0500, tundra_wookie@hhoottmmaaiill.com
("Tundra Wookie") wrote:
>Hello,
>
>New to this server/group. I am considering purchasing a 2002 Dakota SXT we
>have at work but I have a few questions and observations.
>Vehicle: 2002 Dakota SXT 3.9L V6 5 spd. 3.55 gears, A/C. 17K mi.
>
>1) Is the V6 it really as much of a dog as it seems or does this one have
>issues? The truck is a 4x4 w/3.55 gears and empty, it pretty much can't hold
>a grade in 5th gear and with a load, 5th is completely useless. If this is
>normal, besides gears, what other performance mods are there that will make
>it tolerable?

While I don't have that combination specifically, it doesn't sound too
unreasonable to have to downshift while going up a grade...

Tons of possible performance mods... cold air intake, exhaust,
throttle body, headers, etc. all the way up to superchargers.

>2) Is there a problem with water intrusion in the rear diffs? This one had
>problems with water in the rear diff a couple of times, the only issue I
>could see was that the end of the vent tube for the diff was laying on the
>rear spring, which has since been corrected.

Not that I'm aware of, no. I have a 2000 4x4 (3.92 limited slip in a
9.25 rear-end) and have forded fairly deep water a few times with no
water in the diff at all. If you have problem with the vent tube,
that could possibly account for it. The other possibility is a sloppy
job in sealing up the rear differential when the fluid was changed.
Not sure if you know, but these trucks use RTV to seal the
differential covers instead of a regular gasket. There are some
aftermarket gaskets available that fit, but I actually kinda like the
RTV.

>3) The shift light seems somewhat erratic, indicating upshift on
>light/moderateon acceleration, not coming on at steady state cruising in
>gears below 5th. Is this normal?

Can't answer for this since I have an automatic.

>4) Longevity issues: what wears out, such as ball joints and stuff.

Ball joints. :-)

You'll also probably be looking at needing new shocks soon (some would
say you need new shocks the day you drive it off the lot). Anyway,
the shocks wear out fairly quickly as well. That's pretty common for
stock shocks, though.

I have almost 50,000 miles on my 2000 and have had the following
problems:

- Intermittent noise coming from blower motor. Turned out to be a
sticker stuck in the squirrel cage. Fixed under warranty. (3,070
miles)

- Small water leak in windshield when parked at an angle. Fixed under
warranty. (16,465 miles)

- Squeak from left rear leaf spring. Lubed, retorqued under warranty.
(24,107 miles)

- Minor oil leak. Turned out to be loose valve covers. Fixed under
warranty (24,107 miles)

- Ticking noise from engine. TSB 09-09-99. Fixed under warranty
(28,853 miles)

- Broken drivers side power door lock actuator (37,978 miles) -- $250

- Stock battery crapped out (42,521 miles, 3+ years) ... This is a
pretty common one. I replaced mine with an Optima.

Another problem that occasionally creeps up is a creaking/squeaking
sound from the steering column on turns. This is fixed by greasing
the intermediate steering shaft pivot points (easily accessible under
the hood). Even a can of WD-40 or silicone spray lube will fix it.

Some people have also had problems with the brake rotors warping
(myself included). I replaced my front rotors with Powerslot rotors
(they have slots in them to aid in cooling) and so far so good.

All of the things that I have replaced (other than routine maintenance
and things that I wanted to upgrade) have amounted to about $1500
since I took delivery of the truck on April 22, 2000. That includes
the brakes, but doesn't include the shocks (I wanted to upgrade those,
so I got Rancho RS9000X shocks before the stock ones really needed to
be replaced) or my tires (also was sick of the poor mud traction from
the stock Goodyear tires, so I replaced them with BFG AT KOs.)

>5) Any issues with the electronic 4x4 stuff?

Don't know, I have the NV231 (manual) transfer case. I like levers.
:-)

-Bill