Re: Re: RE: Head Light Wiring

From: Tundra Wookie (tundra_wookie@h0tmail.c0m)
Date: Sat Nov 29 2003 - 06:49:19 EST

<Tubamirbls@aol.com> wrote in message news:1a1.1d929edf.2cf63347@aol.com...

> Hi Dave
> Many of the guys on this List complain about gutless headlight output on
> Gen III's. I agree. Shortly after getting my truck I substituted one of the
> several types of higher wattage halogens from JCWhitney. Mine are a bright
> white 80/100w lo/hi beam giving a noticably improved light pattern to the stock
> 55/60's. No additional relay is required. Mine have worked flawlessly now
> for 3.5yrs and 50k mi.
> Dakota stock fog lights have 37w bulbs which can be replaced by 55w
> halogens to again improve their usefulness. Again no additional parts are needed.
> Correct adjustment of fog lights is to fill in the area from the front
> bumper to about 80% of the area covered by lo beams. If they're set higher than
> that they irritate oncoming driver's. I live in an area with foggy conditions
> probably 25% of the year so this arrangement is especially needed. Yuppies in
> their massive SUV's use factory fog lights on crystal clear mid summer nights.
> I assume it's part of their desperate effort to make an impression.

Anybody ever measure the voltage drop at the headlight? Just curious; in the past I have often seen 1-4v drops on various vehicles meaning a significant increase in possible output if you go to a relayed system. Not that I like complicating and hacking things, but it seems the gain is worth it in some cases.

--TW Apply KISS principle whenever possible.