Re: Gear whine?

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 17:56:00 EST

Steve Mills said:

> According to your description,you say it only whines under load,and more
> noticable at high speeds.In my experience with this it has turned out to
> be the pinion bearings.( twice in a 92)

Yikes. Thanks for the info.

> Did this place replace these bearings?

Before they started, they indicated that it was likely that they would
need to do so. They told me they wouldn't know for sure until they got in
there and had a look. I forgot to find out later whether or not they
actually did.

> If so, did they replace the crush collar and adjust the preload to factory
> spec?

Unknown. I would assume so. As I mentioned in another post, this shop is
very professional. Bob Tom has had two gear sets installed there with no
problems, that was why I chose to go there.

Thanks again, sounds like I'd better get this checked out.