Code 442?

From: Korey Atterberry (korey99@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 17:19:49 EST

Hey guys-

  Yesterday I started my truck after work and the check engine light
came on. I pulled the codes using the key on/off trick and it showed a
code 442. I looked it up online and it said it means a leak was
detected in the evaporative system. I checked the archives and didn't
see anything.

  My first thought was to check the gas cap, and it was a little loose.
 Has anyone else gotten this code? Can anyone tell me how to reset it
and the check engine light so I can see if tightening the gas cap
corrected the problem? My truck is a 2000 CC 2WD 3.9L.

  The dealer said that "you can't do that anymore" in response to my
telling him about pulling the codes with the key trick. He said the
only way to reset the codes or to verify the code was to hook up a scan
tool there, and they want $50 or so just to do that much.

Thanks in advance,
Korey