Re: Code 442?

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 17:33:42 EST

"Korey Atterberry" <korey99@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Hey guys-
>
> Yesterday I started my truck after work and the check engine light
> came on. I pulled the codes using the key on/off trick and it showed a
> code 442. I looked it up online and it said it means a leak was
> detected in the evaporative system. I checked the archives and didn't
> see anything.

Try searching "P0442" instead

> My first thought was to check the gas cap, and it was a little loose.
> Has anyone else gotten this code? Can anyone tell me how to reset it
> and the check engine light so I can see if tightening the gas cap
> corrected the problem? My truck is a 2000 CC 2WD 3.9L.

OMG we're twinkies!!! I've got a 2000 CC 2WD 3.9L too!!! yay!

> The dealer said that "you can't do that anymore" in response to my
> telling him about pulling the codes with the key trick. He said the
> only way to reset the codes or to verify the code was to hook up a scan
> tool there, and they want $50 or so just to do that much.

lies.

anyway,
you can clear the code by disconnecting the battery cables for like 5
minutes or so. i had that same code a while back and i ended up having to
replace my fuel cap. drive it a few days and if it doesn't come back you're
good to go.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L