Re: Code 442?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 17:41:48 EST

Korey Atterberry <korey99@yahoo.com> wrote:

: Hey guys-

: Yesterday I started my truck after work and the check engine light
: came on. I pulled the codes using the key on/off trick and it showed a
: code 442. I looked it up online and it said it means a leak was
: detected in the evaporative system. I checked the archives and didn't
: see anything.

: My first thought was to check the gas cap, and it was a little loose.
: Has anyone else gotten this code? Can anyone tell me how to reset it
: and the check engine light so I can see if tightening the gas cap
: corrected the problem? My truck is a 2000 CC 2WD 3.9L.

: The dealer said that "you can't do that anymore" in response to my
: telling him about pulling the codes with the key trick. He said the
: only way to reset the codes or to verify the code was to hook up a scan
: tool there, and they want $50 or so just to do that much.

   Not true (obviously, since you were able to get the codes in
the first place) :-) Although a scanner is a nice way to
reset the codes, you can also reset them by disconnecting the
negative battery cable (while it is disconnected, turn the key
to "start", this will help to drain out any residual energy).

  Or, you can do nothing. In all probability, it was the gas cap
(this is very common), now that you have tightened it, the code
will go away on its own pretty soon.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'