Re: RE: Throttle body spacer?

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Sat Dec 13 2003 - 10:39:11 EST

Marc W. Grobe wrote:

> Andy,
>
> Who is the "we" that you have sighted in your response? Do I know "we",
> has "we" a name that can be affixed to them? Until I know "we" your
> post is as of much benefit as mine was.

As Jason pointed out, I was referring to the group which we are both
members of - this mailing list. If you can think of a mod, someone on
this list has probably tried it in the past and reported on the
effectiveness.

> What I was trying to say, but apparently didn't convey it really well,
> was that there has been cases of Throttle Body Spacers making a
> difference. The one from the magazine article is one and my own
> personal experience is another.

And no one disputed that they can make a difference on some engines
(hell, I said it at least twice myself). But the test really gave no
usable data, and the magazine did a disservice to its readers if they
did not disclose what the engine was. Every engine has its own tweaks
that work, and what works on a Ford doesn't always work on a Dodge.

> I just see some reasonably priced modifications get panned on the list
> every now and then and felt a word otherwise wouldn't be all that bad of
> a thing. In the same article they dyno tested a set of Bosch +4 plugs
> that showed a +7hp increase. Now I have seen a number of people pan the
> Bosch plugs as being no good and wholly endorsing the Autolite plugs. I
> know a lot of people might feel these are crazy over priced plugs.
> Personally, they might not be perfect for every application, but I won't
> dismiss them myself and try to keep an open mind.

Again, different engine, different results. Members of this list have
tried probably just about every spark plug out there. The test of time
and the dyno have shown that the Autolite plus are best for the Magnum
engines. I've been here 4 1/2 years. I've seen a lot of people post a
lot of trials. The group keeps coming back to Autolite for this
application. So I really don't care how well a Bosch +4 performs on my
brother's Vortec 4.3L - that doesn't help me tune my Dakota.

> Ultimately, to the person that asked the question, if you don't mind
> risking a few dollars it might make a difference, but then again don't
> be surprised if it doesn't, because "we" told you so!

Why blow the $70 when mutliple people have already tried it and proven
it ineffective on this engine? The engine won't magically change and
start kicking 10HP to the wheels mid-life.

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/dakota - andy-dml@levyclan.us -------------------------------------------- "Whatever Adam does, do the opposite and you'll be fine" -Bob Tom --------------------------------------------