Re: Re: Moog and factory ball joints ...

From: Wayne Allewelt (wallewelt@mai-aec.com)
Date: Tue Dec 16 2003 - 14:51:19 EST

IMO, I believe that Josh is right, and this being my third truck with
torsion bars I have to side with Josh.

The only time that the torsions bars are putting a load on the front
suspension is when the lower control arm is being pushed up from below, as
in sitting on the ground or ramps. When you jack up the truck and let the
suspension hang clear of the ground you do not have any tension load on the
ball joints except the gravity load put on them by the hub, brakes and
tire/rim, and you are actually putting a load back onto the torsion bars.
The idea behind jack up the truck and letting the suspension hang is to take
the bigger load off of the ball joints, that way they are easier to
move/check. You do not have to jack up the truck to check the upper ball
joint. If it is bad it will move with or without a load on it, but jacking
up the truck does make it easier. I hope this helps.

Wayne
01 QC Sport 4x4 V8