RE: Mobil1 tests are in from the "Synthetic Life Study"

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 13:22:59 EST

I was working part time in a Mobil service station when Mobil 1 first hit the
market and yes they did promote 25,000 mile drain intervals. I can remember
customers that we sold Mobil 1 to coming back from the dealership they
purchased the car from stating that the engine warranty would be voided if they
left the oil in that long. We even had to refund the difference in price
between regular oil and the Mobil 1 to some really irate customers. I do not
think it was even a year before they started changing their recomendations. At
first it was you could extend the drain interval up to 25,000 miles but
recomended that you follow the manufacturers recomendations for your car then
extended drain recomendations disappeared from the marketing.

Back in the late 70's early 80's the manufacturers even recomended up 12,000
mile drain intervals for non severe use conditions. Even today if you are not
driving under conditions that the manufacturers consider severe the typical
recomendation is 6000 miles. My 03 PT Cruiser manual has a recomendation of
6000 miles for NA engines, 5000 miles for turbo engines and 3000 miles for
severe conditions.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4