Re: Back Home, Finally!

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Fri Dec 19 2003 - 05:56:18 EST

On Dec 19, 2003, at 3:01 AM, Lucifer Q Bigglesworth wrote:

> not really complain too much about the 16.6 mpg I made with 85%
> highway time (I know, it's a truck, but last year I had a brand x half
> ton, 305/5-speed with almost 150K on the clock that would get 20 MPG
> on the highway any day of the week...this is smaller and shorter!).

the 15-17 area is definitely par for these trucks. the 4.7s do a bit
better than the 5.2, and the 5.9 is a little worse than that. to get
into the 20s you need a v6. wish it weren't true, but oh well. I'm
not too surprised a 305 gave you that good a mileage, but in my
experience they pull like a v6, too (my experience was an '84, from
about 200k to 350k on the clock - it's parked now, somewhere over 400k
with a broken speedo cable, bad brakes and quite a few "speed holes")

> Only other issues were the cruise doesn't work (waah, I know),

don't have a check engine light, do you? I'd expect a TPS bad enough
to make cruise go bad to throw a light. In that case it's probably the
actuator itself. but I've never dealt with Mopar cruise troubles.

> keyless entry is dead casuing the alarm to go off every single time I
> shut the truck off, get out, and get back in (hoping its dead
> batteries in remotes),

That's pretty shitty. dead remote batts couldn't do that on their own,
since the alarm shouldn't be going off if you leave your remote at
home. does the alarm system have a standalone 'brain' that could be
swapped out? other causes could be the trigger that senses the key has
been turned in the lock to disarm the alarm. In that case, unlocking
with the remote would fix the problem. does it happen with both doors?
  also, how do you start the truck? I thought it was supposed to kill
the ignition when the alarm was tripped.

> and 4wd is inop (I'm thinking bad vaccum hoses or the axle disconnect
> is froze from lack of use in those harsh Miami winters; transfer case
> shifts fine, no noise).

check the archives for lots of 4wd info, IIRC. I've never dealt with
this problem, either, but many have.

> By this weekend I hope to have a trans-go kit in, get the 4wd in
> working order and get some Mobil-1 flowing and see if I get the
> "switched to synthetic leak" blues, then next time around if all is
> well get some Amsoil. And spray the bottom of the truck with some bar
> and chain oil to keep things nice and oily. After that, I bet I'll be
> broke LOL.

sounds like a good plan to me. be sure to get any drain holes in the
rocker seams. I've got rust starting under there on my salt belt '98,
but so far it's just peeling paint, so the seam is probably rusting
out from the inside. I didn't gain any leaks switching to M-1 at ~35k,
FWIW.

> As far as this BBQ...where's this going down at? I like food. I live
> in Champaign which is 3 hours south of chi-town but go to school at
> NIU (~30 miles west of the suburbs, Manufacturing Engineering
> Technology major...say that 10 times fast!). Oh well, been a long
> day, time to get some shut eye!

well, for you, it's one very long day to get to Jon's place. about 600
miles. Forestville, NY is about halfway between Buffalo and PA on 90:
<http://makeashorterlink.com/?X6B232AD6>

--
Michael Maskalans                '98 Dakota SLT CC 4x4 318
details here:             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dak/>