Re: Back Home, Finally!

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Dec 19 2003 - 10:38:04 EST

Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote:
: On Dec 19, 2003, at 3:01 AM, Lucifer Q Bigglesworth wrote:
:> not really complain too much about the 16.6 mpg I made with 85%
:> highway time (I know, it's a truck, but last year I had a brand x half
:> ton, 305/5-speed with almost 150K on the clock that would get 20 MPG
:> on the highway any day of the week...this is smaller and shorter!).

: the 15-17 area is definitely par for these trucks. the 4.7s do a bit
: better than the 5.2, and the 5.9 is a little worse than that. to get
: into the 20s you need a v6. wish it weren't true, but oh well.

   Or you just need a few mods. :-) Granted, the 4x4 will always
lag behind the 2wd as far as fuel economy goes, but it is fairly
common for V8 GenII Daks to be able to get into the 20s on the highway.

:> keyless entry is dead casuing the alarm to go off every single time I
:> shut the truck off, get out, and get back in (hoping its dead
:> batteries in remotes),

: That's pretty shitty. dead remote batts couldn't do that on their own,
: since the alarm shouldn't be going off if you leave your remote at
: home. does the alarm system have a standalone 'brain' that could be
: swapped out? other causes could be the trigger that senses the key has
: been turned in the lock to disarm the alarm. In that case, unlocking
: with the remote would fix the problem. does it happen with both doors?
: also, how do you start the truck? I thought it was supposed to kill
: the ignition when the alarm was tripped.

   If I remember correctly, this was a '92, so this is an aftermarket
alarm. Sounds like its set in "passive arm" mode where the alarm
will arm 30 seconds after the engine is shut off and the last door
is closed. Is it a DEI system? (Viper or similar?) A lot depends
on how the install was done, but if so there should be a momentary
push switch somewhere in the cab. If you turn on the ignition
and turn it off, then without opening any doors, press the switch
once, it will deactivate the alarm. That would give you some time
to fully check it out anyway. On the DEI remotes, there is usually
an LED which will light up when you hit a button, that might tell
you if the batteries are dead (or you could just open them up and
test the batteries I suppose). I'm also curious about how you
are able to start the truck when the alarm is activated? Most
have a starter kill. Anyway, being an aftermarket alarm, who
knows who installed it, or how. Could be an interesting experience.

   Anyway, glad to hear you got the truck back OK; sounds like
its got a couple of issues, but hopefully you'll be able to
work through 'em without much hassle. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'