being 20 is a shit age (ranting, rambling, same old, same old...)

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue Dec 23 2003 - 09:16:19 EST

<whine status="hardcore">god knows how much the dealer would want to
take care of my poor Dakota, but no doubt it would be far, far more
than it ought to be. in any case, it's not drivable.....

so here I sit on christmas eve eve in Ohio, 714 miles from home. with
a broken truck. being 20 years old. there is one national car rental
agency in Sandusky: Enterprise. they'll only rent to you if you're
under 21 if you're under military orders or if an insurance company is
footing the bill. there is one place in town that will rent to me, but
not one-way. they have three branches here in OH.

so maybe this is an excuse to buy that tow rig I'll need? well, even
if I could get the money for certain, and get to the truck (thanks to
the local rental place, Zippy), and have it insured (automatic - I'm
still under my parent's completely kickass policy), I'd need to get in
contact with the owner. both trucks I found that I like are outside
detroit without phone numbers listed. and one of them is a *steal*.
but no contact = no sale....

so no car rental, and no truck purchase. which leaves a few options.
trying to get a t-case on short notice, and spending today under the
truck in the rain working, and getting home very late tomorrow with an
untested rig. leaving the truck and a LOT of my stuff here to get
fixed for too much money and finding a bus home, or a 50 mile cab ride
to toledo or cleveland to fly also for WAY WAY too much money - if
there are even any seats available. or bending over and lubing up for
U-Haul. It's going to be just shy of $1000 to get me and the Dakota
home.

saving money on repairs. ha.
</whine>

at least I'll be home for christmas, with the Dakota by my side (broken
though she may be) and at least I did manage to find a way home where
I'm only getting screwed once in spite of the circumstances. the funny
part is that it'll probably be almost exactly the same price to get the
two of us home and R&R the t-case myself as it would be for me to rent
a car and have the stealer do the R&R, and then rent a car back to
here.

so two other questions - are a 231 and a 241 in the same case? if I
can find a full time case, that would be an upgrade I think I'd like to
make.

and also, since I clearly have either just enough or too much in her,
what do you guys think of as "Faith" for a red, capped gen III's name?

--
Michael Maskalans                '98 Dakota SLT CC 0x4 318
details here:             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dak/>