Re: Cold Air Intake

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 13:12:38 EST

On Dec 29, 2003, at 9:04 AM, J Wynia wrote:

> I've always wondered about this because I live in MN. In
> the next 3-4 weeks, I will likely be starting my truck in the morning
> during temps of -20F.

unless you're a lot farther north than me, it ain't that cold yet.
here north of the twin cities, no one is driving on the lakes yet, and
a buddy of mine didn't head up to Mile Lacs this past weekend b/c they
were pulling houses off the lake... I'm hoping I'll see some below
zero action while I'm home - it'll make me feel like I'm *home* =) not
to mention it'll take 15 minutes off my drive to town....
at least it's finally snowing and below freezing....

> If cold-air intake means more horsepower, shouldn't
> pulling in air that's 100F cooler than summer air make a difference? I
> guess the fact that I don't really notice a "January boost" is making
> me
> wonder if cold-air intake is just another example of automotive snake
> oil.

I've always noticed a winter boost, before and after the intake. also
remember that more of the benefit of a cold air intake (IMO) is that
it's freer flowing. the air probably isn't that much cooler at the
intake, but it spends less time heating up before it gets to the
throttle body, and more of it can make the trip more quickly. My
personal experience points to the freer flow as being the primary
benefit, and the air temp as a secondary benefit.
but of course I might be full of crap too. it's been known to happen.

--
Mike Maskalans            <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
'98 Dakota CC 0x4 318                 '84 RamCharger 4x4 360