Cold Air Intake

From: J Wynia (jwynia@pragmapool.com)
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 10:04:59 EST

I have a question about the effective gains from a cold-air intake. I'm
asking because I read over and over about how much the gains are for a few
degrees difference (as the cooling of the air is passive rather than
actively cooled). I've always wondered about this because I live in MN. In
the next 3-4 weeks, I will likely be starting my truck in the morning
during temps of -20F. If cold-air intake means more horsepower, shouldn't
pulling in air that's 100F cooler than summer air make a difference? I
guess the fact that I don't really notice a "January boost" is making me
wonder if cold-air intake is just another example of automotive snake oil.

--
J Wynia
Pragmapool, Inc.