Re: Re: t-case selection.....

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue Dec 30 2003 - 16:46:48 EST

seems I forgot to send this post on it's merry way last night....

On Dec 29, 2003, at 7:49 AM, Neil W. Bellenger wrote:

> The differential set in the 242's that
> we have would be locked by shifting it from "full time" to "part time"
> but I
> can't speak to the strength of all the pieces/parts.

well for what it's worth, even though the transfer case is one range
stronger (middle digit), it won't handle as much torque according to
NVG's numbers. they rate the 231 at 1885 ft/lbs and the 242 at 1486
ft/lbs.

assuming 280 ft/lbs out of my 318 (stock rating, which I figure is
close, considering 107k miles of wear and some upgrades), and a 2.74
first gear, that leaves a safety factor of 1.94 on the 242 and of 2.46
on the 231.

If the guy in Mass gets back to me tomorrow with news of <50k miles on
a stock-ish Jeep that wasn't flogged too hard, I'll still go with that
if for no other reason than it's cheap. if it sounds like that case
has been beaten on, I'll spend the extra and get an equally smokin'
deal on a freshly rebuilt slightly stronger case closer to home (the
231 in Cedar Rapids).

I'm not worried about hammering the Dakota's drivetrain too much.
it'll never munch rocks. If no one else has managed to kill a transfer
case from *wheeling* at Jon's, I see no reason I'll be the first.

<aside>
those of you who've seen my driving earn a 'thumbs up' from the adam
blaster: don't even.
those of you who haven't: pay no mind to the fact that this statement
as much as guarantees my replacement part's fate - that's just all the
more reason to finish the RamCharger in time for this summer's
festivities.
</aside>

besides, if I get another 231, I'll want to find some locking hubs like
the truck should have had in the first place, so that this can't happen
again.

BTW - no new pictures today, and no actual progress today either. I
need to track down an exhaust pipe flare tool before I can put anything
I've taken apart together, and the exhaust and center console are the
only two things I can do until I get a case in my hands.

--
Michael Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/>
ClassTech Consultant  -  ITS Printer Tech  -  ITS Lab Tech