Re: Re: t-case selection.....

From: Russell Yee (rkyee02@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 31 2003 - 06:20:48 EST

I think that Dodge could do better by providing greasable u-joints in their
drive train. It would give the owner at least one reason to crawl under
there to check stuff out. I often find that I check the A-arms, ball joints
and the CV joints, but then call it quits because nothing is greasable
without pulling things apart.

Mike, if you're looking to do a SAS (like I did a while back), I'd look to
use a Waggy 44. It'll be a few inches wider than your current setup, or you
could have the axle cut down and have custom shafts made. You'd have to
swap a different transfer case in though. I used a D300 with an adapter
plate/clocking ring. I had to modify the transmission hump a bit for the
D300 shifter (it's located on the passenger's side vs. the current drivers
side setup). Another option is to have the waggy 44 retubed. If you don't
intend to wheel too hard the D30 (D35 was/is the rear axle in most Jeeps '87
& up) Mine stood up to 35's until I stomped on the skinny pedal one day.
There are ways to beef it up to suit your needs. If you're intending on
using a D30, I just pulled one out of a buddy's jeep and would sell it to
you for cheap. E-mail me off-list if you need more info or are interested
in the axle.

            Russ