Re: Re: t-case selection.....

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Wed Dec 31 2003 - 02:58:04 EST

On Dec 30, 2003, at 7:02 PM, Neil W. Bellenger wrote:

> <If no one else has managed to kill a transfer case from *wheeling* at
> Jon's, I see no reason I'll be the first.>
>
> Dakota Dodge, our Buxton Maine member, exploded his t-case in much the
> same way, while driving home from the 2002 BBQ.

but he didn't blow it up /wheeling/. it was again from a bad joint -
something that no case could survive at high speed.

> <besides, if I get another 231, I'll want to find some locking hubs
> like the truck should have had in the first place, so that this can't
> happen again.>
>
> This is one that I wish you luck with. Dakota owners have bemoaned the
> lack of aftermarket lock-outs since the dawn of the Dakota. Warn, Mile
> marker, and Superwinch have collectively ignored the Dakota market for
> as long as the market has existed.

really? that's a pisser. until now I hadn't realized the completeness
of the stupidity of a front drivetrain that was always turning. My
only thoughts were those of the wasted economy and extra wear, not the
possibility of the acceleration of catastrophic failures.

> One way to get around this is to swap to a solid axle from a donor
> truck that is supported by aftermarket or OEM hubs.

I've been seriously considering a solid axle swap if for no other
reason than the stupid balljoints, but have been having difficulty
justifying it since the truck won't be spending too much more time
offroad. I'm also foiled in the plans I was kicking around because the
RamCharger's front D44 uses a passenger side drop, while I was
expecting the contemporary dodge plan of driver's side drop. that
surprised me. I'm thinking I ought to be able to find the front
driver's side drop solid D35 out of a Heep for cheap.... and that it
would be about the right width, but I'll figure that out at some point
later. I don't like weak parts - even when they're replacing parts
that are just as weak. but like I said, I'll figure that out later.
Maybe I can find some IFS locking hubs and make them work with the
Dakota (though doubtful....), or maybe I'll use the RC's axles and find
a passenger side drop transfer case. or maybe I'll just ignore the
problem altogether (most likely).

especially right now, when I really need some sleep.

--
Mike Maskalans            <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
'98 Dakota CC 0x4 318 (Borked)   '84 RamCharger 4x4 360 (DD)