RE: Jack Stands

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Wed Dec 31 2003 - 13:34:49 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net]On Behalf Of
andylevy@yahoo.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 11:40 AM
To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net
Subject: Re: DML: Jack Stands

<In the back, if I don't need the suspension fully relaxed, I'll jack the
truck under the pumpkin and put the stands under the axle right by the
spring mounts>

I used to do this regularly with the Toyota, because it was quick and easy,
but I've gotten a little nervous with this technique with the Dakota. Mainly
because it's wider and heavier.

It seems like a lot of weight on the axle at the spring mounts while the
support is directly under the differential housing. My biggest fear would be
to watch the diff housing go up an inch before the ends of the axles started
to move.

The insertion point of the axle into the diff housing takes all the stress
and that's a longer lever than from the spring mount to the rear wheels when
the truck is on the ground. Maybe I'm getting too nervous in my senior
years.