Re: Jack Stands

From: BARRY OLIVER (DHSPA58@dhs.state.il.us)
Date: Thu Jan 08 2004 - 10:30:51 EST

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> Here's an idea - ramps made out of a solid chunk of billet
> aluminum - any takers? ;-)
>
>>> josh@omg-stfu.com 01/05/04 07:27PM >>>
why waste those dollars on billet, you could make em out of scrap
aluminum for pennies. the might require a bit more polishing to make
em
shiney though... ;)

Shiney?? nah, leave them as cast... a sand-cast surface ought to give
reasonable traction

On a side note, my neighbor across the street has a pair of PLASTIC
car-ramps. He says he got them at our local big-lots (essentially a
retail flea-market). He used the heck out of them all last summer with
no apparent ill effects. With his driveway, using jackstands is rather
problematic, because it is quite sloped. What he has been doing is
driving all the way up his driveway, placing the ramps below, and then
driving back onto them. His van end's up allmost level. I guess that's
just another potential example of Darwin's theory in action.