Re: Was: Slide in camper NOW: 5th wheel?

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 15:31:34 EST

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 06:06:02 -0500, bill@nissley.com ("Bill Nissley")
wrote:

>It is a firestick for my ham radio, I have 2 different ones, a 1/2 wave and
>a 1/4 wave. I use the 1/2 wave on trips, you can see it in the picture with
>the trailer.
>
>As for mounting, I didn't drill any holes, I also have a problem with that.
>The cable is a special one that has an o-ring connector so it doesn't have
>to loop down. It come out horizontally from the shaft. It runs directly
>under the hood and from there I have the excess cable loosly looped (to
>prevent a "coil" problem) in the fender opening. From there I run the cable
>trough the large access whole that is full of cables into the cab of the
>truck.

Hmm, good to know.

How'd you handle the connector on the radio side of the cable? I have
a couple of places I could run it through, but not if the cable
already had a connector on it. (There's room in the hole next to the
steering shaft, and there's also a grommet in the driver's side door
frame, right above where the wiring runs into the door... this looks
the same as the one on the passenger's side that has what I believe to
be the stereo antenna wire running through it)

That's why I think the ideal solution for me would be to just crimp my
own connector on the cable once it's inside the cab.

I have looked at FireStik's antenna mount for the Dakota -- definitely
very appealing since it requires no drilling to install.

-Bill